Second Circular - 13th Annual Conference
"POWERFUL AND POWERLESS", WEDNESDAY 30TH MARCH – FRIDAY 1ST APRIL 2016 AT CZECH ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, PRAGUE
To download the Conference Second Circular click HERE.
With the conference fast approaching, the second circular is designed to provide you with further practical information and assist you in preparation for your trip to Prague. Please note that the information offered in the first circular may not be repeated in this and as such please consult both.
Submission of Draft Papers
We will circulate draft papers among participants in order to maximise floor discussion. Please submit your paper as a PDF or Word document by 20 March online via the EATS website. Please also send a copy to email@example.com (subject: submission of SURNAME, Given Name). Late submission will affect the chances of obtaining travel grants. Papers should not exceed the length of 7,000 words. We would be grateful if you do not change the title and abstract. Presenters for MA panels do not need to submit full papers.
To celebrate EATS members' publications, EATS Board will organise a book launch during the General Assembly (March 31, 2016). If you have had a book published during 2015-16 (in Chinese as well as in English) and would like to take part in this event, please contact Isabelle Cheng at firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 March (subject: EATS Book launch + name) and send her the following information: (1) details of your publication (2) oneparagraph abstract of your book. You are most welcome to display your book(s) or distribute leaflets during the conference.
The Taiwan Series at Routledge will present their latest volumes during the conference.
Summary of Conference Deadlines
March 3, 2016
Submission of online registration for post-conference activities and for the selection of the welcome dinner menu (please see below)
March 20, 2016
Submission of draft paper via EATS website and email
March 20, 2016
Early bird conference registration. For more information please consult the First Circular
Hotel Olšanka (http://www.hotelolsanka.cz/en/)
1000 Taboritska Street · Prague 3, 13000
Tel: + 420 267 092 202 · Fax: +420 222 713 315
For information about transportation (from the airport and to the venue) please see the First Circular.
What is around?
- Park Parukářka
- Žižkov Television Tower
- Square “Jiřího z Poděbrad” with a modernist church
- Olšany Cementery
- New Jewish Cemetery in Prague-Žižkov, the final resting place of Kafka
Or you can consider to make a small tour as recommended on this website
Where to eat?
- Olšanka restaurant (hotel restaurant)
- Pizzeria Nominanza (on the hotel premises)
- Restaurant Lavička
- Korean Restaurant Bibimbap
- a number of good restaurants are situated near and in the Flora OC (shopping mall)
Czech Academy of Sciences, The Main Building
Národní 3, 117 20 Praha 1
Conference rooms 205 and 206
- Opening: Wednesday (March 30, 2016): 12:30
- Keynote speech by Bruce Jacobs: Wednesday (March 30, 2016): 13:00–14:00
- Welcome dinner: Wednesday (March 30, 2016): 18:30
- EATS General Assembly: Thursday (March 31, 2016): 15:00–18:00
- Book Launch: Thursday (March 31, 2016): During the General Assembly when votes are being counted (please read more below)
- Post-conference Program:
- Friday (April 1, 2016): Walk through Prague with a guide
- Saturday (April 2, 2016): One day trip to Kutná Hora (UNESCO site)
- (For details see below)
Galerie Café Louvre
Národní 22, Prague 1
The welcome dinner is primarily organized for registered conference participants.
There will be two menus served during the evening. The restaurant needs to know the precise numbers for each option, so everyone should choose his/her preference in the online form.
Prague Ham Roulade with horseradish spread
Duck confit with cabbage and variation of dumplings
Apple strudel with vanilla sauce and whipped cream
Menu II (Vegetarian):
Caprese salad with fresh basil and avocado,
Baked eggplant with ratatouille and créme fraiche with coriander and watercress
salad of fresh exotic fruits
Menu also includes welcome drink, one alcoholic drink (beer/wine), water, coffee/tea
If spouses or other members of the audience want to join us, they should also register via an online form and pay 600 CZK during the conference registration.
Czech Academy of Sciences
Galerie Café Louvre
POST-CONFERENCE PROGRAM organized by the Local Organizers (Registration needed):
Guided walk around Prague (Friday afternoon (April 1, 2016): 2-4 hours)
- The walk may include Old Town, New Town, Charles Bridge, Lesser Town of Prague, Prague Castle (exterior): all depending on time left after the conference and your preferences.
- Price: approx. 250 CZK/person (10 Euro)
- Max number of people per group is 25. More guides can be made available if necessary.
Organized trip to Kutná hora, UNESCO World Heritage Site (Saturday, April 2, 2016)
- length: 6 hours
- transportation: bus
- price: approx. 990 CZK/person (38 Euro) -- includes all the entrance fees
- Sites: Cathedral of St. Barbara, Italian Court, Ossuary, walk through the town
As we have to book tour guides and buses for the trips on March 4, 2016, we would like to ask participants to register for post-conference activities (and for the selection of the welcome dinner menu) via the online form till March 3, 2016. As we have to pay a deposit, we will consider your registration as a binding confirmation. Please register individually.
Conference participants may enjoy other cultural program in Prague. If you interested in the following programme, you can follow the links and buy tickets online. We would draw your attention to:
State Opera (Wilsonova street, Prague 1)
National Theatre: (Národní street, Prague 1)
- March 31, 2016: Leoš Janáček–Jenufa
- April 1, 2016: Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky: The Nightingale / Iolanta
- March 30, 2016: Brel – Vysotsky – Kryl / Solo for Three
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra at Rudolfinum Concert Hall (Alšovo nábřeží 12, Prague 1)
WHERE TO EATS NEAR THE CONFERENCE VENUE?
- Cafe Slavia (Smetanovo nábřeží 1012/2)
- Cafe Louvre (Národní 22)
- U Medvídků Brewery (Na Perštýně 7)
- Restaurace Století (Karoliny Světlé 320/21)
There are a lot of good restaurants in the vicinity
Before traveling to the Czech Republic, check if you need a travel adapter for the power sockets (outlets) used there.
- Voltage: 230 V
- Frequency: 50 Hz
- Power sockets: type E
In cases of emergency you are encouraged to call
Táňa Dluhošová: +420 775 026 511